Correcteur Orthographique de Latin
Correttore Ortografico di Latino
Corrector Ortográfico de Latín
Presentation of COL
COL (Correcteur Orthographique de Latin) is a free tool providing assistance to check the spelling of a Latin text. Available for Microsoft Word, LibreOffice, OpenOffice.org and AbiWord, it includes a dictionary of about 400,000 Latin forms (classical and medieval Latin).
To best match the different practices, COL is configurable: the user can select a particular spelling (how to represent diphthongs, vowels u and i...). It works exactly like spellcheckers of other languages: when a word is not in the dictionary, it is underlined in red.
This spellchecker is obviously not intended to be exhaustive, nor it wants to "normalize" the spelling of Latin. It was created primarily as an aid to save time and facilitate the work of all those who need to understand Latin texts (for the transcription of manuscripts, for example), but also to fix correct Latin texts scanned and processed by OCR, usually with many faults.
In order to get in touch with our software, a good 'How To' written in Latin language can be read here. Note that the Latinists from the Vatican City are using our software since its early releases.
This project is commonly led by:
Important installation notes
Thank you to take into account the following points, countless installation problems which are reported to us concern the points listed below:
- Determine which version of Microsoft Office is mine, especially 32-bit or 64-bit ? read the page here. This is IMPORTANT (or check the screenshot here). Be careful here, it is very common to find 32-bit versions of Microsoft Office 2010, 2013 or 2016 running on 64-bit Windows systems (Win7, Win8 & Win10). In this case you must install the 32-bit version of the Latin proofing pack.
- If you install a 64-bit package instead of a 32-bit package, please uninstall the 2 64-bit programs that have been installed by the package (Latin Spellchecker and Proofing Tools - Latin from the Control Panel) before reinstalling the 32-bit package.
- If Latin does not hold as the editing language in Microsoft Office and if the editing language reverts to your default language, then try to select the language isiXhosa or Xhosa instead of the Latin input: learn more about this problem here. Do not blame us for this issue, blame ....
- It could be useful to uninstall old versions of COL from the Control Panel before installing a new one. We have seen cases where old files were not correctly replaced.
Download the software
- Download COL 2016 (Verba) - for Microsoft Office 2016 - 64-bit
- Download COL 2013 (Verba) - for Microsoft Office 2013 - 64-bit
- Download COL 2010 (Verba) - for Microsoft Office 2010 - 64-bit
- Download COL 2016 (Verba) - for Microsoft Office 2016 - 32-bit
- Download COL 2013 (Verba) - for Microsoft Office 2013 - 32-bit
- Download COL 2010 (Verba) - for Microsoft Office 2010 - 32-bit
- Download COL 5.0 (Verba) - for Microsoft Word 2002 (XP), 2003 2007
For Microsoft Office 2011 and 2016 (MacOSX)
History of the program
Since version COL 2.1.x, it is possible to choose between different spelling options for Latin words. The way Latin words are written depends indeed on local habits, choices made for a particular project, or the scholar's field of study. For instance, in medieval Latin, diphtongues of classical Latin (æ, œ) are replaced with a simple « e », but sometimes they are rendered by two distinct letters (« ae », « oe »). Likewise, some conventions impose to keep the letters j and v, whereas others impose to transcribe them as, respectively, i and u. See the corresponding dialogue box here.
Since version 2.1, an hyphenator suggests how to cut the words at the end of the lines.
Mandatory: it is important that you set/create a user dictionary dedicated for Latin. Use the Microsoft Word interface to do so. Here is a snapshot of a good configuration. The WebEx demonstrations also show how to setup the user dictionary. You will have to run at the command line setLa2K.exe (or LatinConfig.exe /InstallLa /InstallLa2000) if you like to use this new version under Microsoft Office 2000. You can have a look to the messages on our dedicated forum [en] in case of trouble.
The WebEx demo: to watch a demonstration about how to setup the spell checker under Microsoft Office,
- Download and install WebEx Recorder and Player here (light and free of charge).
- Download the demonstration file (XP + Office 2003 French) here , then double-click on it to launch the demo.
- Download the demonstration file (Vista + Office 2007 French) here, then double-click on it to launch the demo.
- Download the demonstration file (Vista + Office 2010 French) here, then double-click on it to launch the demo.
- COL Version 5.0 - Bug fixing (user dictionary).
- COL Version 4.0 - MacOS X first support (beta version).
- COL Version 3.1.1 - Latest stable version. Better handling of enclitics.
- COL Version 3.1 - Improved handling of V uppercase.
- COL Version 3.0 - Verba+ word list base integration.
- COL Version 2.6 - Latest stable version. Handled -ve enclitic.
- COL Version 2.5.2 - Fixed problem with first uppercase on some words (ex. Latina) followed by -que enclitic.
- COL Version 2.5.1 - Improved speed of program.
- COL Version 2.5.0 - Handled -ne enclitic.
- COL Version 2.4.2 - Prevent potential crash and file corruption provoked by misformatted user dictionaries.
- COL Version 2.4.1 - Fixed problem with words containing uppercase(s) followed by -que enclitic.
- COL Version 2.4 - Improved support of medieval Latin variations.
- COL Version 2.3.2 - Fixed second problem with user dictionary under Word 2007, accept Arabic and Roman numerals (from I to MMMCMXCIX).
- COL Version 2.3.1 - Fixed problem with user dictionary under Word 2007.
- COL Version 2.3 - Added ability to filter accented vowels (acute accents).
- COL Version 2.2.2 - Fixed problem with words that include several uppercases (ex. LatinA).
- COL Version 2.2.1 - Fixed problem with first uppercase on some words (ex. Latina).
- COL Version 2.2 - Latest stable version.
- COL Version 2.1.6 - Fixed little problem with the hyphenator and installation problem under Office 2000.
- COL Version 2.1.5 - Fixed issue with option loading under Windows Vista.
- COL Version 2.1.4 - Speed up dictionary load again and bug fixing.
- COL Version 2.1.3 - Speed up dictionary load.
- COL Version 2.1.2 - Fixed issue when used simultaneously with other spell checkers (problem was there since version 2.0).
- COL Version 2.1.1 - Fixed potential crash with the user dictionary (problem was there since version 2.0).
- COL Version 2.1 - Added first version of hyphenator.
- COL Version 2.0.1 - Added ability to filter accented vowels.
- COL Version 2.0 - 12 variant dictionaries supported.